Garlic is considered the best food to increase breast milk, as it is well-known for boosting lactation in nursing mothers.
- It has chemical compounds which help in lactation.
- Garlic consumption prevents all types of cancer.
- Toss in a few stir-fried garlic cloves in your soup.
- Add it in a vegetable of your choice.
- Another option is to stir fry a handful of garlic cloves in ghee and have it with steamed rice, every alternate day.
7. Black Sesame Seeds:
Black Sesame seeds are a rich source of calcium and believed to increase milk supply.
- Blend sesame seeds with milk, sugar and almonds.
- Use in limited quantity, though.
A glass of carrot juice with breakfast or lunch will work wonders in lactation.
- Like spinach, carrots too have lactation promoting qualities.
- It contains Vitamin A which complements lactation and boosts the quality of your milk.
- You can have carrots as raw, steamed or even pureed to a soup.
- In winters, try having pureed carrots stirred with warm milk and sugar.
9. Water And Juices:
Drinking water and juices is supposed to boost lactation. It increases the total milk volume per feed.
- It prevents you from dehydration and replaces fluid lost during lactation.
- Have a glass of water when you are thirsty or even before you begin to nurse your baby.
Barley not only boosts lactation, it also keeps you hydrated.
- You can boil barley and have the water through the day.
- Toss in whole barley with other vegetables with your favorite flavouring.
Asparagus is considered a must-have food for nursing mothers.
- It is a high fibre food.
- It is also high in Vitamin A and K.
- It helps stimulate the hormones in nursing mothers that are essential for lactation.
- Wash and chop asparagus. Boil with milk. Strain and drink for better milk production.
12. Brown Rice:
According to the research paper Increase Breast Milk Supply With Herbal Galactagogues published in the World Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, brown rice enhances breast milk production. It has hormone stimulants which boost lactation. It also gives nursing moms the extra energy that is required post delivery. Also, it helps increase the appetite so as to enable the mother to eat nutritious food.
- Soak brown rice for half an hour and pressure cook it. Eat it with vegetables.
During and post pregnancy, there are hormonal imbalance that takes place in your body. Dried apricots have certain chemicals which balance out the hormone levels in your body.
- Apricots are rich in calcium and fibre and help boost lactation.
- Include apricots and walnuts in your oatmeal diet.
Salmon is a great source of EFA (Essential Fatty acids) and Omega-3.
- Both EFA and Omega-3 are highly nutritious and essential for lactating mothers.
- Including salmon in your menu boosts lactation hormones and make your milk more nutritious.
- Opt for steamed, boiled or even grilled salmon.
15. Cumin Seeds:
Cumin seeds boost milk supply. Make sure you have them in moderation though.
- These are appetizers and fat-burners.
- They help avoid digestive irritants like acidity.
- Add a pinch of cumin powder to milk or to butter milk and drink.
16. Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves are a great source of anti-oxidants.
- Basil leaves have a calming effect which is important while lactating.
- It boosts your little one’s immunity levels.
- Add a few basil sprigs in your tea.
- Leave the sprigs for a while in hot water. Have this water first thing in the morning and experience the effect.
17. Dill Leaves:
Dill leaves look like a bunch of fine, dark green, silky hair. They have a distinct odor.
- Dill leaves are believed to boost milk supply.
- They have a high fibre content and Vitamin K. These helps to replenish the blood loss that happens during delivery.
- Add these to pancakes or to seasoned yoghurt.
18. Bottle Gourd:
Bottle gourd is generally not a preferred vegetable, but is high on nutrition.
- It is a summer vegetable which has high water content. This keeps a nursing mother hydrated.
- It also helps increase milk quantity.
- It is easy to digest and aids in lactation.
- If not as a vegetable filling, you can use it to make a sweet pudding.
- Drink freshly-made bottle gourd juice to help normalize raised blood sugar levels post-delivery. Make sure it is fresh and not stored.
19. Sweet Potato:
Sweet potato is a major source of potassium. It has energy producing carbohydrate which is needed to fight the fatigue.
- It also contains Vitamin C and B-complex and a muscle relaxant mineral that is magnesium.
- Have it with a low fibre diet.
- Make a smoothie of an apple and baked sweet potato.
- Make it as a pudding for dessert.
***READ MORE ON THE NEX PAGE BY CLICKING BELLOW ON NEXT***