Did you know that you can actually make things work to get pregnant with twins? Yes, it sounds incredible, but there are certain ways that may be of help to you.
Fraternal Twins: occurs when multiple eggs are released and 2 separate eggs are fertilised.
Identical Twins: are less likely to happen and occur when the egg splits in the early stages of pregnancy. Identical twins do not run in families, so it can be a miracle that happens to a couple of any ethnicity.
- Heredity – if you have twins in your family or if you are a twin yourself, the possibility of conceiving twins is higher. The genetic predisposition only applies to the mother, her genes influence the chances of hyper-ovulation.
- Statistically African women are more likely to conceive twins, while Asian women have a lower chance.
- Identical twins can be a fluke and happen to anyone, while fraternal twins usually run in the maternal genetics. Hyperovulation is said to be genetic and causes the release of multiple eggs.
- Age – older women have a higher chance of conceiving twins as they approach peri-menopause. The body receives a fertility spike by the surge of oestrogen. After the age of 35, your body produces more FSH (follicle stimulating hormones). As a result, during ovulation your body releases more than one egg and increases your chances of having twins.
- Taller women and women with a higher BMI also have an increased chance. Having a BMI over 30 is thought to increase your chances, but this puts you in the obese category and is not a healthy option.
Ways to increase your chances of conceiving twins:
- Folate: (or the natural form – Folinic acid) has been found in studies to have a 40% increase in twin pregnancies, although this appears to be aimed at women who have had IVF treatments. Increasing folic acid (400 – 1000 micrograms) is a natural way to get pregnant with twins. Folic Acid also helps to come overcome any neural tube defects during pregnancy and helps with the healthy growth of your baby. Foods that help you elevate your Vitamin B9 include lettuce, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, egg yolk, sunflower seeds, asparagus, broccoli, honeydew melon and liver.
- Hyperovulation-stimulating foods: There are a few foods that naturally increase the rate of ovulation and stimulates the ovaries to release multiple eggs. One example is Cassava, an African wild yam or sweet potato. Other examples include tofu, soy isoflavones, whole wheat and whole grains. The same applies for feeding your partner Oysters for the high zinc content which helps with sperm production. Zinc is said to help with sperm mobility and health, doctors advise 14mg/day.
- Gaining extra body weight: most doctors recommend an intake of dairy or calorie-rich food. In a study done by Dr Gary Steinman, women who eat more dairy are 5 times more likely to conceive twins. Other studies did show that vegans are less likely to conceive twins. So perhaps the best chance is to increase your intake of dairy and meat.
- Dairy: Consuming dairy-based products increases your chances of multiple birth pregnancies. Drink milk from hormone treated cows. Cows liver also contains Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) thought to trigger multiple pregnancies.
- Gap before Conception: Don’t rush to fall pregnant shortly after giving birth. Experts advise leaving a gap in the conception.
- Use a Birth Control Pill: As you stop taking the birth control pill, your hormones will fluctuateand take some time to find its natural rhythm. The hormone flux increases your chances of releasing multiple eggs leading to the conception of twins.
- Have more children: Having more children increases your chance of having twins naturally. It becomes easier for your body to produce multiple eggs during ovulation the more times that you are pregnant.
- Continue Breastfeeding: Your body produces a higher percentage of prolactin during breastfeeding. This increases your chances of having twins.
Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that you will conceive twins, the above just outlines ways to increase your chances. With multiple pregnancies there are higher risks, so be sure to consult your doctor for advice.
FERTILITY HERBS FOR TWINS:
There are also certain herbs which help improve fertility, in particular with the conception of twins or multiples.
1. EVENING PRIMROSE OIL:
Primrose oil is famous for its fertility boosting property from centuries. It helps in promoting healthy production of the cervical mucus that flows in the reproductive tract. Healthy mucus allows the sperm to survive for longer days within the ovary. It is advisable to take evening primrose oil at the peak time of menstruation and continue it up to ovulation.
This sweet herb regulates the menstrual cycle and makes it easier for you to keep track of your ovulation days. Licorice helps in controlling the hormonal level of testosterone and estrogen, thus supporting the entire process of conception.
3. FLAXSEED OIL:
Flaxseed oil possesses a great ability to boost fertility in women and increases your chances of conceiving twins naturally. It regulates the hormonal production and maintains a regular menstrual cycle. It ensures a proper balance of progesterone and estrogen hormones.
4. SWEET CASSAVA:
It is the most efficient herbal supplement, known for its effect on fertility. It increases your chances of having twins by its hyper-ovulation property. The potent phytoestrogens present in cassava help in regulating the female hormones.
5. BLACK COHOSH:
This traditional herb can effectively alleviate the symptoms associated with pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) and menopause. The herb strengthens the uterine muscles and is beneficial for women with weak pelvic floors. Though it does not directly increase the chances of having twins, it improves fertility rates, which may increase the probability of twin babies.
6. VITEX (CHASTE TREE BERRY):
Vitex helps in treating females suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). The herb helps in regulating the hormone levels, reduces the levels of androgens that contribute towards PCOS and helps in promoting healthy ovulatory function. Vitex helps in the prevention or reduction of ovarian cysts in females. It is useful in improving the probability of twin babies as there is a chance for the woman to double ovulate.
7. MACA ROOT:
Maca root serves as an adaptogen and promotes healthy reproductive functioning in the female body. Maca root improves overall fertility in both men and women, thereby indirectly improving the chances of producing twins.
As we have mentioned above, all these are only attempts to get pregnant with twins. There is no sure-shot way to have twins. Try your luck with one or more of these methods.
If you have given birth to twins, share your story with us. Tell us if you have made any conscious efforts to have twins, in the below comment section.